Here We Go! Seedlings 2022

     It's time!!! Seeds are in the dirt, lights are set up, and a spray bottle is at the ready. Two weekends ago I got all of our seeds planted. I have big dreams for flower beds, an herbal garden, and of course the vegetable garden. This year we tried a new set up for germinating our seeds that includes a wire rack and several LED light bars. In past years I used whatever extra containers that we were able to save, like yogurt containers. This year however I used plastic containers that I purchased from the hardware store. 



    I am very excited to be growing some of our favorite standbys using seeds from Bakers Creek. We have had success is previous years (with the exception of last year) with starting from seeds. Some of our favorites are the Brandywine tomato, black beauty zucchini, and blue lake bush beans. I am most excited about a plant we have never grown before... luffa! 


I know these poor seedlings are so dry, I promise I watered them
right after I took the photo. Its survival of the fittest around here. 


    Another area of our yard became an perennial garden last year and I am excited to be growing several new varieties a flowers for apothecary/ tea uses. Chamomile, lemon balm, and bee balm are some of the new varieties. I am also trying to grow more lavender and echinacea. 

    The herb garden will also be expanded this year. I am going to put as many herbs in pots as possible so that I can move them inside during the winter. I have saved my same oregano plant this way for 3 years now. I am trying sage for the first time and trying to find better ways to keep cilantro and basil going for longer. My cilantro bolts as soon as it grows and something more often than not eats my basil before I do. 

    I also hope to establish a berry patch of either raspberries or blueberries this year. Our 3 year old raspberry met a backhoe during the fence rebuild. I completely forgot about moving it and when I saw what the workers had done to the yard I realized the plant was a goner. 






    These plants look really good already, I have never had seedlings get this big this fast. It makes me a little nervous about how it will all work out but its always something every year. I love the trial and error and the surprises out of left field when you think you have it all figure out. Cheers to this garden season! Lets hope it treats us well. 

Did you start seeds yet? Are you doing a garden this year? 


Comments

Popular Posts