Saving a Skillet

 The backstory is that we finally acquired a cast iron skillet from a yard sale and kept it in our camper for when we cook over the fire. We kept it in the cabinet under this sink and we didn't realize that the drain had developed a leak that dripped right into our skillet. A thick layer of rust developed and my husband thought for sure the pan was a goner but I was pretty sure that a little bit of work would restore the skillet.

 


    The first step is scouring the rust of the surface. I started with steel wool but quickly realized I would be there forever. I switched to using a wire brush attachment on the drill and within a minute all the rust was gone. A quick was in soapy water removed all the little bits of rust dust.



    To dry the skillet place in on the stovetop burner on low heat for a few minutes. 

   


     Next up is selecting an oil to season the pan with. I opted for olive oil because it was handy and I wanted a natural oil. I read up on oil smoke points because I did not want a house filled with smoke while seasoning the pan. Olive oil has a relatively low smoke point (375 degrees) so I seasoned my pan in the oven set at 370 degrees. 




    To season in the oven you place your oiled skilled upside down on the top rack and place an empty baking sheet on the lower rack in case any oil drips. The pan should have a very thin layer of oil rubbed in with a cloth or paper towel so the dripping should be minimal if any. The skilled will bake in the oven for an hour at a temperature suitable for the oil you choose. When you reach the hour just turn off the oven and leave the pan in there until completely cooled. 



    Next up is using the skillet to cook. I chose to make a very greasy food to be sure it would stick and to another oil layer to the pan. Bacon, everything even an iron skillet is better with bacon. At this point I can make eggs in my skillet without them sticking. I also get bragging right for saving this skillet that my husband thought was a goner. 

Comments

Popular Posts