Snow


We had a snow day yesterday. It was supposed to be an inch tops according to the forecast but we have  about 8 inches of the white stuff in the yard. We were out on the roads during the worst part of it (thank goodness for four wheel drive). We thought that it would stop before it got too bad but it just kept coming. The kids enjoyed playing outside once we were home and I kept my thermos filled with hot chocolate to keep the family warm in between bouts of being outside. The neighbors were out in full force helping each other dig out. I am so thankful for the wonderful people who live around us. It is nice to have a group of people who help each other and take care of each other.

This snow fall also means the end of my garden. With warmer temps this week and a little rain I uncovered the vegetables and of course in my complete lack of preparation I failed to cover  them before the storm. So now they are buried in snow and unprotected. Lesson learned. While growing your own food you can't afford to be lazy or forgetful you have to be prepared and always thinking ahead. It is hard to adapt to that mentality when there is always a safety net, in this case a grocery store that will be able to provide us with all the items this lapse in judgement cost us.

While we had snow here other areas in the country were facing terrible ice storms and even worse snow conditions than we saw. I hope that those people stay warm and safe.

Comments

Popular Posts