5 Days of Cookies (Day2)

In addition to these wonderful Chocolate Chip cookies, we also make a Peanut Butter cookies for Christmas. These cookies were made in my home as a child for me to take to parties or school for snacks. I loved rolling the dough and then using the fork to give the cookie it's classic criss-cross design. Nowadays with so many children experiencing allergies to nuts we are unable to use this cookies as a contribution to kids parties. Instead I make them at Christmas time so that we can enjoy them at home. Oh, and I also make them at this time of the year so I can give them to a co-worker of mine who tried to take the whole box home for herself when I took them to work for the first time. These are a fun cookie to make with the kids as there is really a lot of hands of cookie forming that they can do. Drop cookies tend to be a little difficult for the small guy but he can roll these into a ball is no problem and the smashing with the fork is his favorite part.



I don't have the original recipe from my childhood but I found a close match several years ago. So that is the recipe I will be sharing. The original source is here.



Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar packed
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
Cream together butter, peanut butter and sugars. Add in eggs and mix.
Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and until thoroughly mixed.
Refrigerate for 1 hour
Roll into one inch balls a place on baking sheet flatten each ball with a fork making a criss-cross pattern.
Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes.

Some of my own notes: I use salted butter. It is usually what I have on hand, doesn't bother me.

I almost never sift the dry ingredients. I have tried it when I first got my sifter and it didn't seem worth
the effort but if you are a sifter go ahead and give it a go.

I never refrigerate the dough. By the time I make these cookies I want them right away and I am not waiting an hour. I find that the just made dough rolls easier into ball shape. If I did follow the rules 3 other people would be digging the dough out of the bowl in the refrigerator while leaving the door open.

I use all kinds of peanut butter creamy, crunchy, natural and the cookies are always awesome.

Lastly, I don't measure my sugar perfectly some times I go by how sweet I  want the cookies to be. I always use somewhere around 3/4-ish of a cup of granulated sugar and a very lightly packed cup-ish of brown sugar. As you can tell I am not a very technical baker.

I like to cook these until they are lightly browned. I transfer them to wire rack to let them cool and store them in a sealed container with the scrap end of the bread loaf. The bread gets all dry and crunchy while keeping the cookies soft and wonderful. I use this little trick for all of my cookies.

Comments

Popular Posts