4 Ways We Get Ready for the School Year

Summer is winding down around here and the change is actually kind of welcomed this year. This has been by far one of our tougher years with adjusting to the new area, managing work schedules, childcare and actually having time to enjoy each other. I love the scheduled days that come with a new school year. It is fun have a break from having to rush everyone out the door each morning for a few months but I find that all of us, the kids especially benefit from schedules and time constraints. The cooler days make us all a little more lively than the heat of the summer and the anticipation of apple picking, falling leaves, and holidays has us all wound-up with excitement.

The fall brings homework, more consistent dinners, routines, chores, and a streamlining of all other aforementioned tasks. I usually do the same things every year to get ready for this back to school season and I figured now is the best time to share my tips for getting yourself ready, if you find yourself struggling that is. I have included links and photos because who does not love links and photos.

1. Bedtime/wakeup- After a carefree summer bedtime is the first thing we start changing in preparation for the start of the school year. We creep the time up a few minutes each night until we are on the usual school night sleep schedule. I also wake them a little earlier (8:30) rather than letting them sleep in until 9 or later. I feel mean about it but it's time to rise and shine.

-I also start infusing lavender in my diffuser to help the "not tired" kids wind down at the end of the day. I also infuse a morning blend to get them moving in the morning. I love to use wild orange or some other citrus blend first thing.

 Image Source: Sparoom.com 

2. Work Space- I get the kids a work space ready somewhere in the house. This year should be interesting. Most magazines and articles I read show kids in lovely little rooms set up just for homework where they all sit together and get things done. I know my kids and I know this is not happening that way here. Our solution is to put the oldest in her room away from everyone because she works best in her own space. She has an old desk that belonged to her great-grandfather where she can sit under the light of her lamp and complete her work. My little guy will sit at the table in the back room that is easily visible from the kitchen where I will be preparing dinner as he needs help to stay on task. School work is easy for him but he is also an 8 year old boy with an active body and imagination. The youngest at only 3 she gets the dining room table, or at least thats my plan as it separates her from her brother but still keeps her in view from the kitchen while she either has snack or does art/play dough. I will show you our areas:

The desk where the oldest works on her own 
Middle child's workspace right where I can see him

3. Food- Come September the days of grabbing food when ever you want are gone. Meals and snacks are more schedule so it is important to have good nourishing food and foods they like on hand to keep those little minds learning. I usually let them have more say on what they eat during the school year.

-Lunch box staples include  fresh fruits and vegetables from one of my favorite stores such as cucumbers with dressing, strawberries, bananas, apples and carrots.
-PB and J is a fall back
-Lunch meat and cheese sandwiches
-Chicken or tuna salad
Left overs and soup in a thermos are a big hit and they stay warm until lunch if done properly.
-Breakfast- bagels with cream cheese, homemade pancakes frozen then re-heated, oatmeal, and cereal
-Snacks include goldfish crackers, homemade or store bought cookies on occasion, and fruit snacks. Not perfect but this is where I let them have fun is with one snack in their lunch.
After school fruits and vegetables are available without asking all afternoon but other snacks they ask for such as pudding, crackers and cheese, etc.

4.  School supplies- all this work is for nothing if the kids do not have the items they need to be successful in school. The schools are pretty good about getting lists to the parents early and then once I sale hits I usually stock up. We all know that half way through the year pencils are nubs, crayons are broken and makers are dried up so I am ready to send those supplies in come late winter/early spring. What ever their teacher asks for I buy I do so without hesitation because I know how much they invest in our children. When my middle child forgot his snack there was always a snack made available my the teacher. If a child or 5 needed an extra 20 cents at the book fair the teacher added it to her tab, same with the Christmas sale. A few extra pencils won't break my bank even though I think sharpening them might wear my finger to the bone.

This is only half of it! Thank goodness for sales!


I think blue is her color!


This is how we get ready for the school year. I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way, except to fail to prepare for year. I hope that some of these tips are helpful! Happy back to school!



Comments

Popular Posts