Thanksgiving 2014

I hope that all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I can't believe that it came and went so fast this year. We spent the holiday at my moms house and as usual the food was delicious. I will never understand how she makes cooking for 15 look so effortless. In fact, she kicked us all out of the kitchen  and refused our help because she was more annoyed at tripping over all of us than thankful for our help. I guess when you  have done these things for so long it is difficult to get used to a kitchen filled with people trying to 'help'.


This year we also had the chance to spend the holiday with a little girl who was given a tough lot in life but thankfully is seemingly unaware of it due to the people who have stepped up to the plate for her. Some of the children in the family are old enough to understand the situation and piece together the information they have overheard. These teenagers seemed to be more thankful for the loving homes they have and the security of knowing that home, for them, will always be home.


It was a good day to give thanks for all that we have and to spend time together. The food was amazing and nothing makes Thanksgiving quite like a football rivalry to keep the excitement going late into the night.


We followed our tradition of decorating for Christmas during the weekend after Thanksgiving. Last year I was so satisfied with our pared down lifestyle until Christmas and then I found myself sucked back into the consumerist lifestyle where too much is never enough. This year my family and I have been working towards simplifying Christmas, starting with getting a new smaller tree. In years past we have always put up a large artificial tree, I am allergic to pine, that takes up half of our leaving room. We always have had to move our the love seat out of the house for a month, leaving us short on sitting space and making my husband a grouchy guy. This year with our new smaller tree we were able to keep all our seating which allows us to spent more time lounging together on these cold, dark evenings by the glow of our tree. This one change has already set a wonderful mood for the holiday and I hope to share with you all the ways we try to simplify Christmas in order to make it a holiday we can truly enjoy rather than endure.


Comments

Popular Posts