Taking Chances a Gardener's Tale


Having the backroom serves as our green house has been one the best decisions even if I was hesitant about it at first. The sunlight that comes in has been enough to warm the seedling up and help them pop open slightly ahead of schedule. Our seeds used to take longer to home because we had trouble maintaining the right temperature when the nights were still cold. Some of the seedling have been removed from the plastic container that we use to hold in the heat and moisture and are just resting on the table. On the days when the weather is warmish I can open the slider doors and the breeze and fresh air help hardy the plants. This is all a big surprise to me. I had hardly any hope that it would work at all. I feel like since I have been doing this for years I should know exactly what to do and exactly how it will turn out but that is not how it is.





I think one of the biggest misconceptions about gardeners is that well all know what we are doing. In actuality for me a lot of the time it is educated guess work and a quite a bit of putting plants in the ground and crossing my fingers. Every year is different and what worked last year might not work this year. Just when you learn how to deal with pests will be the year you have blight or a fungus sweep through the garden. Years that I have the most trouble with my vegetables are the years that my flowers do amazingly well or vice versa. Sometimes the act of just taking chances and just doing are exactly what needs to be done. Dig a hole and plant something. Give it water and sunshine and hopefully something remarkable will happen and it not just keep trying.

Comments

Popular Posts