Thanksgiving 'Chandelier'

It is already November, I can hardly believe it. With the arrival of November the holiday season comes rushing upon us starting with Thanksgiving. One of our traditions is that each year we make some sort of collection of notes stating what we are thankful for. This year I saw a really cute idea for a "chain of thanks".  I took that idea and came up with a 'chandelier' project to hang in our dining room so we could fill it with all the things we are thankful for.

I started by printing out the strips that I saw on a website, Chain of Thanks Printable
Then I cut out each of the strips with a paper cutter that is probably older than I am but it makes quick work of a task like this.



Next I took a brass ring that has been collecting dust in my craft box and some brown yarn. I was hoping to use twine but the craft store was way over priced and I was too impatient to wait a day until I had the time to run to store where I usually buy twine. So, brown yarn it is. I used the brown yarn to make the support for the brass ring. First, I took yarn and knotted it to one side of the ring leaving enough of a tail (about 12 inches) that would be used later for hanging. Then I tied a knot to the other side of the brass ring again leaving about a 12 in tail of excess yarn. I repeated that whole process again until the brass ring had an x of yarn across the middle and 4 tails of excess yarn.


I gathered up all of the tails and tied them in a knot about one inch from the end and eleven inches above the ring.


I then tied pieces of the brown yarn to the large brass ring at varying lengths to which we would staple our paper strips.

Lastly the kids and I began writing down what we are thankful for and attaching the strips to the yarn.



We have a good head start and we will keep adding more until Thanksgiving Day when we will read over all of the tags that have been made. So far some of my favorites that the kids have written are, I am thankful for: family, Stormy and cake.

Comments

Popular Posts