Homemade Grapefruit Cleaner



Homemade cleaners are one of the ways that I can control the number of chemicals coming into my home. This is very important to me as I have two children who suffer from asthma. One of the easiest cleaners I have stumbled upon in my search for safe and effective cleaners is this grapefruit cleaner. I use it for cleaning the bathtub and sinks, occasionally I will use it to scrub the toilet. I have found that it works best when baking soda is added to the solution as I am using it. The best part is that it is super simple to make.

1. Fill one mason jar of any size with grapefruit or other citrus peels being careful to only use the skin and as little of the white as possible and not part of the actual fruit. 

2. Cover the peels with white vinegar.

3. Let sit in dark area (I place it under the sink) for roughly two weeks keeping covered. 

4. When ready strain peels from vinegar solution and return liquid only to mason jar or into spray bottle.

5. Wet surface you intend to clean with vinegar solution and add baking soda scrub with cloth and rinse. 

Variations include lemon, orange, lime. Also herbs can be added to enhance the aroma. I have used rosemary and mint along with grapefruit.

Shared at the Homestead Barn Hop on The Prairie Homestead


Comments

  1. I love the idea of using grapefruit! I've tried orange peels, but I will have to try the grapefruit. What a great post :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts