False Spring 2019





This week we got a taste of spring, one day the temp was 71 glorious degrees outside! In true Pa fashion the next days high was 48 and the wind was gusting and we were back to wearing coats again. But man, that one day was just enough to bring us all our of hibernation mode and really amp up the winter stir crazy. The official first day of spring is days away but our family enjoyed on meal outside on our deck and a lot of time running around the years and planning yard and garden changes that we plan on making. The sun is up longer at its warmth is more noticeable in fact, the seedlings in our back room are popping up in record time. Our big dog Copper is always at the back door now begging to be let outside because for her even 48 degrees and breezy is an awesome outside day laying in the sun. Today she is enjoying laying out in our empty garden so I have a feeling we are going to need to do a better job of make getting into the garden difficult for the animals. We also need to make getting out of our yard a little harder for the little dog Stormy because she is an escape artist and I do not want to be chasing her all over creation again this summer.


I am most excited to get some our our new plants in the ground! Hubby took me to Tractor Supply for the first time and I might have gone a little over board but at least I didn't come home with the chicks and duck I really wanted. I did practice some restraint. We purchased strawberry and raspberry plants as well as garlic, onions, and asparagus. These will all go straight in to the ground. I have our seedlings in little pots in a plastic under the bed storage tote. I keep the lid on so that the moisture stays in and the seeds get the warmth they need. I leave the lid off for a little bit longer each day once the seeds sprout until they not linger fit in the container with the lid on and then I leave it off altogether. I find this to be the best way to recreate the green house type environment given that our garden is not overly large and we don't have a ton of seeds to start. It also keep Stormy dog from eating the dirt out of the pots because she is a weirdo and eat the dirt if she can get to it.  I am all about keeping things as simple as possible around here.




So that is our prep for spring so far. What have you been doing around your home to get ready for springs arrival?

Comments

Popular Posts